DG8u—Air Shipment of Lithium Batteries (add-on)
Subscriber price: $69.00, Non-subscriber price: $90.00
Estimated total study time: 4 hours 42 minutes
This course module addresses in detail the international rules (ICAO Technical Instructions) covering air shipment of lithium batteries both shipped alone and when contained in or packed with equipment they will power. The U.S. DOT rules on air shipment of lithium batteries are essentially the same as the international rules. Correct application of these rules requires basic understanding of battery terminology and technical specifications, which are explained in this training with a variety of examples and practical exercises.
Important: This training is not "stand alone"; it assumes the student is already trained and certified in dangerous goods shipment requirements suitable to one's general job responsibilities.
Note: This topic is also addressed in detail in module DG22u—Dangerous Goods: Function Specific: Air Forwarder, as part of GISTnet's hazmat employee certification configuration for air forwarders. So this module should only be used to supplement hazmat certification training received from providers other than GISTnet.
General Requirements for Electric Batteries & Battery-Powered Equipment; Intro to Lithium Batteries
This lesson establishes a general framework for commercial shipment of batteries and battery powered equipment, and introduces the heightened concerns over lithium batteries.
(Estimated study time: 50 minutes)
- General Concerns with All Shipments Containing Batteries
- Shipment Contains Only Batteries and/or Battery Fluids
- Regulations Applicable to Equipment Containing Batteries vs Batteries Shipped Alone vs.
- Decision Tree for Batteries Shipped Installed In or Packed With Equipment and Vehicles
- Lithium Batteries are Used in Numerous Types of Equipment
Regulations and Limitations for Air Shipment or Lithium Batteries (us)
This lesson addresses the regulation of air shipment of lithium battery under both ICAO Technical Instructions (international rules) as well as the U.S. Hazardous Materials Regulations.
(Estimated study time: 1 hour 19 minutes)
- Air Shipment of Lithium Batteries Under International Rules
- Technical Specifications of Lithium Batteries Needed to Apply Air Shipment Rules
- Lithium METAL (Primary) vs. Lithium ION (Secondary) Cell/Battery
- Air Shipment of Lithium Metal (Non-Rechargeable) Batteries, International Rules (Detailed Chart)
- Air Shipment of Lithium Ion (Rechargeable) Batteries, International Rules (Detailed Chart)
- Additional Restrictions on Air Shipment of Lithium Batteries Shipped Alone
Applying DGR Rules to Air Shipments Containing Lithium Batteries—Examples from Forwarder Perspective
This lesson provides a variety of practical examples, followed by case-study/practical exercises, on how to determine requirements and limitations for air shipments containing lithium batteries.
(Estimated study time: 1 hour 23 minutes)
- Applying International Rules to Air Shipments Containing Lithium Batteries—Examples from a Forwarder Perspective
- Example 1: Shipment of Small Flashlight and 9 Volt Batteries
- Example 2: Shipment of Small Personal Computers (Apple iPads)
- Example 3: Shipment of Buoy Battery
- Example 4: Shipment of Infusion Pump with Battery
- Example 5: Urgent Shipment of Spare Lithium Ion Battery
Forwarder Concerns With Air Shipment of Lithium Batteries
This lesson addresses a variety of issues, risks and decisions an air forwarder faces when handling a shipment that contains lithium batteries. Particular attention is paid to shipments which may contain undeclared lithium batteries, and how to deal with naive shippers.
(Estimated study time: 1 hour 9 minutes)
- Forwarder Concerns with Air Shipment of Lithium Batteries
- The Challenge of "Hidden" (Undeclared) Lithium Batteries
- Forwarder's Must Obtain Detailed Information from Shipper for All Lithium Batteries to Be Shipped by Air
- Technical Specifications Required to Determine If Lithium Batteries May Be Shipped by Air
- Criteria for Lithium Battery Contained In or Packed With Equipment
- Dealing with Naive or Uncooperative Shipper
- Forwarder's Checklist for Air Shipment of Battery(s)